Last updated on 05/11/2023
Turf, or horse racing betting, is a very specific activity when it comes to online betting. A true domain for enthusiasts, turf websites compete with ingenuity to welcome horse racing enthusiasts.
Turf Websites in UK
If you reside in United Kingdom, here are the turf websites where you can place bets, recommended for 2023.
What is Turf and How Does It Work?
Turf is synonymous with horse racing. In practice, horse races take place every day at French and international racecourses, known as meetings. Thanks to dedicated websites, a significant advantage compared to traditional PMU betting shops, you can bet on races happening anywhere in the world. It’s up to you to choose your horse, its jockey, make your prediction, and place your bet.
There are several types of races:
- Flat racing: horses gallop over the entire race distance,
- Trotting: they must maintain a trot, or they risk disqualification,
- Steeplechase: a galloping race with obstacles.
And different types of bets:
- Win: the horse must finish first in the race,
- Place: the horse must finish in the top three,
- Exacta: predicting the first two horses in the correct order,
- Quinella: predicting the first two horses in any order,
- Trifecta: predicting the first three horses in the correct order,
- Superfecta: predicting the first four horses in the correct order,
- Daily Double: predicting the winners of two consecutive races,
- Pick 3/4/5/6: predicting the winners of three, four, five, or six consecutive races,
- Place Pick All: selecting a horse to place in all races on a card.
To place a bet, you need to choose a meeting, a type of bet, an amount, and the number of the horse/jockey pair to complete your ticket.
We highly recommend visiting a nearby racecourse at least once to witness live races, immerse yourself in the atmosphere, and meet fellow turf enthusiasts. You can also check out the Equidia channel to familiarize yourself with horse racing.
Always pay attention to the horse’s history; more than the jockey, it’s the horse that makes the biggest difference and determines your winnings or losses. Initially, it’s advisable to bet on horses with low odds (the favorites); your winnings will be smaller, but you’ll have a better chance of winning. Be cautious of advice from self-proclaimed experts, other bettors, or bookmakers. It’s better to know your subject by taking an interest in it, conducting your analysis, and learning about turf betting.
Good to know: horse racing bets are based on the principle of mutual betting (PMU stands for “Pari Mutuel Urbain”), meaning that the wagers placed are pooled and redistributed to the winners. The turf website deducts a fee to cover their costs and pay taxes to the government, but you’re not betting “against” the bookmaker.
Understanding the Odds System
Watch this video that explains how odds are determined.
Major Races Taking Place in 2023
In fact, these races take place every year and are the biggest horse racing events in the world.
- Prix d’Amérique
- Prix de Cornulier
- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe
- Prix du Jockey-Club
- Prix de Diane
- Grand Steeple Chase de Paris
“New Bettor” Offers
To help you discover turf betting and motivate you to take action, horse racing betting sites offer welcome offers to new players. Check out our detailed articles on offers from Betclic, PMU, or Unibet if you want to learn more than what we’ve compiled in our comparative tables.
Our turf offer comparison details legal turf sites according to your country of residence. We strongly advise you to register on a legal site with the necessary government approvals in the country where you live.